Saturday, February 22, 2014

Not-so-TGIFriday

First time in a long time that I haven't been looking forward to a weekend.  It means I'm that much closer to leaving.  And I'm not ready.  There was a time when I thought I'd never be ready to go on a mission trip, or that I wasn't the type who could (or should).  My how things change and God works His plan. 
Yesterday we made more water deliveries.  Two stops in areas we hadn't yet visited.  I stepped off the TapTap and was immediately embraced by a boy named Mackinson.  He's about 8 years old and was very excited to introduce me to his cousin and brother.  Mackinson was also quite possessive and even pouted when I put him down to pick up another little one.  Protected is my Word of the Day and I felt this while Mackinson was with me.  There was a UN truck coming up a side street behind me and I didn't realize it.  He pulled me far out of the way and stood in front of me while the truck passed.  I had a similar experience at the next stop, where another little boy moved us out of the way of a motorcycle zooming by.  I'm struck by how these kids look out for each other and all of us.  So much love.  Chicago Jen showed off her innovative skills today as she was helping a little boy with cooler full of water.  The spout/drain on the cooler was missing its plug, so water was just running out as they walked to his home.  So what did Chicago Jen do?  She thought "Hey, I have a feminine hygiene prodct in my pocket..." and the rest is history.  :)  That little boy was SO excited!!  Awesome.  Just.  Awesome.  :)  We finished our second stop and returned to Stop 17 (the first water truck stop on Tuesday) where Healing Haiti will soon be building a church.  We gathered at the proposed site to pray for the success of this mission and continuation of God's plans. 
After water truck and a break at the Guest House, we visited General Hospital to deliver some supplies to parents.  We visited three areas of the hospital where children of varying ages were being treated and many parents were waiting nearby or holding their babies.  Eric described the conditions as primitive, but there really isn't a word to capture it.  Such a blatant reminder of how blessed we really are back home.  These doctors and nurses are trying to do as much as they can with so little.  And there is hope.  Hope and perseverance.  
On the way back to the Guest House, we got stuck in a traffic jam of epic proportions.  You think your rush hour commute is rough?  Not even close.  After about 45 minutes sitting in one spot, we decided to walk.  It was a good 20 minute walk and was a great alternative to riding in the TapTap.  So much more to see and hear.  And another good dose of perspective.  Be thankful for our stoplights and traffic laws :)







No comments:

Post a Comment