Monday, February 24, 2014

Homeward bound

Yesterday was our last full day in Haiti.  My word of the day?  Sad.  I'm not ready to go home.  Because I think there's more to do and I must be the one to do it?  No ... that's not what it's about.  One of the many beauties of this organization is that there are two more teams coming in today after we leave, and so it goes throughout the year.  Amazing!  No ... I'm not ready because I just want to do more.  I settled in a bit as we moved through the week - looking forward to more water truck days, getting more acquainted with Grace Village, getting to know the guys a little better (p.s. Brunet, Emmanuel, Nixon?  Incredible guys!  More on them in just a bit), getting used to the rhythm and sounds of Creole and picking up a teeny bit of it here and there.  I feel as thought I've found a purpose here.  I'm not ready to go home.  But I know that I will be back.  How soon and for how long?  That's up to God, and I know He already knows :) 
We went to Grace Village for church yesterday.  Awesome experience!!  On the way, we picked up Marie - she is one of the local elders and is such a beautiful and vibrant spirit!  Marie is 104 or 105 years old, still lives independently, and usually walks to church.  Today she rode with us and attended service with our group.  She was SO excited about the large travel mug of coffee that Jess prepared - said she'd been waiting for it for days, and finished the mug in a matter of minutes.  Love, love, love.  Her joy is infectious.  What a treasure!
After church we drove up the mountain to shop a bit.  This was a fun and at times overwhelming experience.  The vendors expect to be bartered with, and if you're not careful (or you don't have one of our guys with you!) they'll get more of your money than you intended ... Yes - I paid too much for a small canvas painting ;)  Oh well - it was fun :)
On the drive back to the Guest House, Brunet taught us a bit of Creole - the first part of "10,000 Reasons" - so much fun.  Today I'll ask him to write it out so I can work on not losing it :) 
More about our guys -
Brunet, Nixon, Emmanuel - LOVE.  These were our guides, protectors, translators throughout the week.  I highly recommend spending some time with each of them.  So much patience, always a watchful eye, and lots of fun.  I look forward to seeing them again - hopefully sooner rather than later :)

Today we'll deliver Feed My Starving Children packets and supplies to Tent City.  What a cool opportunity - to see this mission come full circle.  The packets we're delivering came from Chanhassen and were packed just after Thanksgiving.  So.  Cool. 

I don't have adequate words for this experience.  I am so grateful for all that is going on here, all that God is doing in and through the beautiful people of Haiti, Grace Village, Healing Haiti, and so many more who are involved.  I am so thankful for the team that I had an opportunity to go with and get to know.  What an awesome group!  So much spirit and strength, individuality and community. 

Happy.  Thankful.  Anticipating.

















2 comments:

  1. Jaime, I just read your post from earlier this morning, and I'm thinking of you all - as you're preparing to head home today. I've really enjoyed seeing your heart through your writing! I like what you said about not wanting to go yet. (That was actually a really good explanation of it.) My trip is one month from TODAY, and who knows - maybe my 2nd trip will be with you? God brings His children together in very special ways. He's the Almighty Orchestrator...our reason and purpose. Our HOPE. Our hope to return again. Wishing you and your entire team safe travel back to the states! Enjoy these last precious moments of this trip. There will never, ever be another "this trip." Glwa pou Bondye!!! <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I really appreciate your support!!! Good luck and have fun on your first trip!! I am really looking forward to my next. And yes, maybe we will be tripmates soon!! :) :) :)

      Delete